This qualification aims to develop learners’ understanding of autism and the principles of supporting individuals with autism – covering the person-centred approach and influence of positive communication methods, how to support positive behaviour, and how individuals with autism can be supported to live healthy and fulfilled lives.
This qualification is designed for learners who wish to develop an understanding of autism and how to support individuals with autism.
It’s useful for learners who provide direct support and those working in sectors such as:
• social care
• education and training
This qualification is suitable for learners aged 16 and above.
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification. However, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 1 qualification.
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism, learners are required to successfully complete 6 mandatory units:
• Unit 01 Introduction to autism
• Unit 02 Using a person-centred approach to support individuals with autism
• Unit 03 Communication and social interaction in individuals with autism
• Unit 04 Sensory processing, perception and cognition in individuals with autism
• Unit 05 Supporting positive behaviour in individuals with autism
• Unit 06 Supporting individuals with autism to live healthy and fulfilled lives
To achieve the Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism, learners must successfully demonstrate their achievement of all learning outcomes and assessment criteria of the units as detailed in the qualification specification. Grades are not awarded.
The Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism is internally assessed.
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to:
• Level 3 Diploma for the Children’s Workforce (Early Years Educator)
• Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
• Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care (Adults) for England
• Level 3 Diploma for Residential Childcare (England)
• Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Autism
The objective of this qualification is to help learners to progress within employment in a variety of sectors, and in a number of job roles where an understanding of autism and knowledge of how to support people with autism is required.
This document contains everything you need to know about this qualification in PDF format and should be used by everyone involved in its planning, delivery and assessment.